A look at the architecture of Michigan State University over the past 150 years.
MSU blows out 150 candles this year, triggering a nostalgic backdrop to this year’s classes and special events.
Just as the courses, styles and populations of campus have changed, so has the architecture. From Victorian towers to geometric lobbies, the last 150 years provide stark examples of architectural tastes du jour.
1855-1906
[linton] Linton Hall- The second oldest building on campus, Linton Hall was built in 1881. It was originally used as MSU’s library, museum and administration building. Other structures from this time period include: Cowles House, Morrill Hall, Old Botany and Cook Hall.
1907-1945
North Kedzie Hall- With its medieval crests and dungeonesque lobby, North Kedzie Hall is a prime representation of the Collegiate Gothic style of architecture. Built in 1927, it filled the need for new and state of the art laboratory facilities. More examples from these years include: Mayo Hall, Mason and Abbot Halls, Berkey Hall and the Old Agriculture Building.
1945-Present
[library] Library- Constructed in 1955, MSU’s library signaled the advent of a new, international style of architecture on campus. It is defined by its geometric lines, glass structures and open lobbies. Other buildings from this era include: Biomedical and Physical Sciences, Hubbard Hall, Wilson Hall, and Bessey Hall.
For more information take a peek at “MSU Campus- Buildings, Places, Spaces: Architecture and the Campus Park of Michigan State University” by Linda Stanford and C. Kurt Dewhurst published in 2002.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *